Friday, September 26, 2008

Chicken and Dumplings

Even though it is fall, here in Houston, it is still in the mid 80's outside.

One of my favorite family recipes that remind me of the upcoming winter and fall is chicken and dumplings.

My Mom and Mamaw made this creamy, rich stew often when it was cold outside. Whenever I am homesick, a steaming bowl of this takes me back home!

The ONLY cheat in this recipe is the use of store bought biscuits. I find it totally acceptable. I do have a recipe from a great-great aunt for homemade dumplings, and one day, I will try it. But for now, this is how I make them. I hope you enjoy!

Chicken and Dumplings

1 Whole chicken
1 Medium white or yellow onion, chopped
3-4 Stocks celery, chopped
2-3 Medium carrots, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 large or 2 medium bay leaves
1 t. black pepper
Salt to taste
1 cube chicken bullion
2-3 qts. Chicken stock
3-10 count cans of buttermilk biscuits, torn into quarters
1 to 1 ½ C. Flour
1 T. Black pepper
2 to 3 C. Milk

Combine chicken, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, pepper, salt, bullion and chicken stock in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a steady boil and then reduce to a medium low heat. Simmer for at least 45 minutes until chicken is cooked.
Remove chicken and let rest for 10-15 min. Combine the flour, milk, and black pepper and whisk until there are no lumps. Add milk mixture to pot in 1 C. intervals. Bring pot to medium heat or a fast simmer, but not boiling. Add quartered biscuit pieces to bubbling pot. De bone chicken and cut large pieces into bit sized pieces. Add chicken to bubbling pot. Continue simmering for 10-15 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through. Remove bay leaves before serving. This stew can scorch, so constant stirring and a watchful eye are a good idea. Lower heat is always safer in the final stages. Cooking time may be extended if temperature is lower.

No comments: