Monday, September 22, 2008

For all the Vegans out there....


Ok, so I have a dear friend, one who is probably the FIRST person who will even read this, who is a Vegan.

I make many jokes at her expense, and I really probably tease her too much about it. But its fun, and its always done with an upbeat attitude.

The truth is that I really respect her and her decision. I am certain that there are many health benefits from her lifestyle. However, I am in no position to be capable to coming even close to Vegetarian, much less Vegan!

So here is the one and only one of my recipe repertoire that I know is certifiably Vegan. It also meets Cortney's standards.

Hummus

2 Cans of garbanzo beans, some of the liquid reserved
2-3 T. Tahini Sauce
3-4 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice of 1 Lemon
2-4 cloves of Garlic
2 t. Kosher Salt
Paprika to taste
Other seasonings to taste

Empty both cans of garbanzo beans, 2 T. of Tahini Sauce, Lemon juice, and garlic into a food processor and pulse until it has a rough consistency. Then continue to proceed with blending with the gradual addition of EVOO, Tahini, and reserved bean juice until desired consistency is reached.

Once all is combined, I add the spices to taste. Most of my friends prefer a spicier hummus, so I add more paprika, chili power, and cayenne pepper.

Remember that hummus develops its flavor overnight, so if in doubt, under season it and correct the next day.

I also top the hummus with a small additional amount of EVOO when I serve it.

Try this recipe, and learn with it...the variations are limitless.

Last night, I shared it with my mom with hopes of giving my parents a healthier option for dips and snacks.

I will report her response once she makes it!
The photo is web based, not my hummus!