Monday, September 22, 2008

A Quest for Country Gravy Pt. 1




As I mentioned before, almost no family meal existed without something fried.

If the fried item was a meat entree, then that also meant homemade cream gravy.

Mamaw and Mother always just made it, from instinct, and I never took notes.

Since my passion for food and cooking began, I have taken random stabs at making gravy. My attempts have yielded mediocre results at best.

In the last week or two, I have had a renewed interest in making good gravy.

The first three attempts were once a again, not to great.

So I called my mother...and told her what I had been doing and she made several observations and suggestions.

So here is what she recommended to me.

(all measurements are approximate)

Start with about a 1/4 cup drippings
2-3 T. flour
2 C. milk
2 C. water

In a large skillet, warm the grease over medium heat. Combine flour into the grease and mix well. Once combined and slightly browned, slowly add the water/milk mixture and bring to a simmer or low boil. As gravy boils, it will gradually thicken. Once thickened, remove from heat and serve.

So I haven't tried to make this with the new pointers yet, but I will try soon!

I will update you on the success of the new gravy attempt!

No comments: