Monday, September 22, 2008

Some background on me and my love of food.

I guess I consider myself an amateur foodie.

What does that mean really? Not too sure. But here is how I see myself:

I was raised in a Texas family with a German heritage. Food was always a central focus of all things related to friends and family. Meals were the center attraction to all major life events.

My familial cooking influence comes mostly from my grandmother. I am blessed to have three strong female influences in my life...My mother, my maternal grandmother, and my maternal great-grandmother. Although I have spent many hours in the kitchen with all three, I have spent the largest amount of time with my grandmother. So a vast majority of my opinions of family food relate to her.

Family meals almost always involved some variety of fried foods. Be it chick, beef, venison, or almost and other meat or vegetable.

Second in line were all kinds of baked sweets. Peach Cobbler and Pecan Pie were often the two most common examples.

Although my family was openminded with regards to the consumption of alchol, they did not drink much. The most common drink found in our home was some variety of beer. Wine was a rare influence.

As I got a little older (my teenage years) I gradually began to be exposed to various other cuisines and I quickly liked much of what I tasted.

I have also began the path of learning about wines, beers, and various liquors.

So now, in my late twenties, I continue the hunt for new flavors, new ingredients, and new experiences.

My personal taste lean towards comfort favorites that are enhanced with modern American or Classic French techniques.

So here are my meal to meal experiences, thoughts and general musings.

No comments: